Promptings
You may think it's been a minute since I've written, and that's because I wrote a whole blog post last week and I accidentally deleted it after spending soooo much time adding photos that I raged and didn't try again. But now I have new thoughts and have something different to write about haha.
If you've been reading all my blogs, I've talked about intuition in the past (about trusting my intuition, questioning if I even have it). Well, this has been on my mind after what happened at school on Friday.
This past Friday, I was supposed to have a meeting but the parent didn't show up so I now had an hour free at school. Every since time this happens, I jump right into working on lesson plans, grading, or anything else that there's always more for me to do. But for some reason, I had a feeling to go check on the teacher across the hall from me who was teaching a class.
Now I am still a newer teacher, and this teacher has been teaching for a long time. Never have I ever felt like she needed help or couldn't do her job. I was very confused why I felt the urge to go see if she needed any help, but I thought why not and wondered in there.
She had about 12 kids in there working on work recovery and everything looked pretty chill. I felt silly asking if I could help and work with some of the kids on their homework but I did anyways. She said yes and I made my rounds and helped the kids with their work.
I didn't think much of it, until after class she stopped me in the hallway. She said "you have no idea how much you coming in to help meant to me. My push in teacher didn't show up, and the substitute is 82 years old and wasn't doing much to help." She went on to tell me how she was really struggling with this group and me coming saved her.
This really hit me hard because I almost didn't go in there because it felt like a random and silly urge. It was such a small decision that happened to have such a big impact. And if she didn't open up to me about her feelings in the hallway, I would've never known what it meant to her.
Growing up in the LDS church, they talked a lot about receiving and listening to promptings. I don't know if this was one, but it really reminded me of how important our choices can be for others. If I have any thoughts or urges to help someone else, I should always listen and act because it might just be what they need. And I know that I would want the same if it was me on the other side of things.

Comments
Post a Comment